I’ve always loved a good date night, and we’ve been thinking of more creative ways to spend time together the last few months when we’re staying closer to home. I thought it would be fun to put together a fall-themed picnic date on our balcony as we enjoy this gorgeous October weather, and it’s already something we’re looking forward to doing again soon. With the help of Butter Chardonnay by JaM Cellars – one of my favorite picnic wines – I’m sharing everything you need to recreate the best fall picnic date, no matter the location!
Fall Picnic Date Idea: The Best Wine
We always love a good glass of wine. Butter Chardonnay by JaM Cellars is one of our favorite wines because it’s so easy to drink and works for any occasion. If you’ve never tried it before, it’s super creamy and melts in your mouth! In addition to a standard wine bottle, Butter also comes in super fun grab-and-go ButterCans which makes it perfect to take along in your bag or just to your balcony on a fall picnic date. And a bonus, Butter is sooo easy to find – just look for the fun, bright yellow label! Just put your zip code into their WineFinder or get Butter delivered in under 60 min at JaMCellars.com/Buy.
Fall Picnic Date Idea: Autumnal Charcuterie Board
One of the most important parts of any picnic for me is the food to go along with the Butter. For our fall picnic date we made an autumnal charcuterie board. I grabbed all of these items at Trader Joe’s. I love shopping there for the affordability, and they also carry Butter so you can get everything in one place! Pour yourself a yummy glass and get started on the board! Here are a few ideas of items you can use, but the best part is mixing it up and finding your specific favorites:
- A variety of hard and soft cheeses like:
- Fall goat cheese log with flavors like apricot, cherry and cranberry
- Manchego cheese – my personal favorite kind of cheese!
- Camembert cheese – a great creamy option
- Brie cheese with wild mushrooms – super creamy and we love the addition of a savory flavor like mushrooms
- Chimay autumn cheese – a soft cheese that has a nice subtle flavor
- Toscano cheese – Trader Joe’s has a few flavors of Toscano cheese, and they’re all super yummy!
- Berries like raspberries and blackberries
- Crackers for dipping or eating with cheese; we used:
- Red chili scalloped crackers – we love the slightly spicy flavor of these!
- Raisin rosemary crisps – the sweet and spicy combo is delicious!
- Butter, jams, or jellies, our favorite is hot pepper jelly
- Salami, prosciutto, or any other similar meat
- Dried oranges and persimmons – these taste good but are also beautiful for garnishing
- Figs – tasty and adds a pretty color to the board
- Rosemary for garnish
- Mini pumpkin for garnish
- Almonds, we used maple flavored since this flavor reminds me of fall
- You could also add something sweet like chocolate covered pretzels
Fall Picnic Date Idea: The Decor
I set up the picnic space by using decor we have around the house and styling it outside in a little picnic area. We had a lot of mini pumpkins that I brought outside, and I picked up a pack of faux leaves from Amazon for under $5. I also grabbed an autumn bouquet with flowers including roses, hydrangeas, daisies, sunflowers and greenery because fresh flowers always brighten a space. The bouquets at Trader Joe’s are under $15 and are the prettiest fall ones I’ve found!
We love game nights so I also brought out some of our favorite two player games which are Code Names Duet, Monopoly Deal and Ticket to Ride. I put the Classical Halloween playlist on Spotify for the perfect ambiance too. Lastly, you can’t forget a cozy blanket and pillows. One advantage to having the picnic on a balcony, patio, or yard is that you can use any outdoor pillows or blankets you have at home so setup is really fast and simple, and you can enjoy a glass of Butter while you get everything ready!
I hope today’s blog post inspires you to make something fun out of an ordinary day, or as JaM Cellars likes to call it, a #ButterDay. I’m so thankful to JaM Cellars for sponsoring today’s post, and don’t forget to visit JaMCellars.com/buy to find out where to grab their wines!